Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Spider-Ham Backup Stories

Marvel Tails Starring Peter Porker, the Spectacular Spider-Ham #1 was published by Marvel Comics in 1983 and was meant to be a one-shot humor issue but when Marvel announced their Star Comics line in 1985, Spider-Ham got his own series.
Each issue came with a Spider-Ham feature and one backup story, usually a funny-animal parody of another Marvel Superhero series.In Spider-Ham #2, Steve Mellor created a story starring those mutant insects, The Uncanny X-Bugs!

5 comments:

Doug said...

Wow I forgot all about Spider Ham. Was this the same people who made Captain Carrot and the amazing zoo crew? I used to love those commics. Hey James I'll have to lend you my collection of Count Duckula if you don't already have them.

James E. Daniels said...

It was a different crew that worked on Captain Carrot over at DC.
I still think a Spider-Ham cartoon could work. Look at the free publicity from The Simpsons Movie, "Spider-Pig, Spider-Pig..."
I still have a collection of Count Duckula as well as ALF. lol

Eric said...

I love Steve Mellor's art which always seemed very influenced by Kirby to me. He also did Kinetic Kids for Krazy magazine.

Eric Hoff said...

What else did Steve Mellor do besides Kinetic Kids and Spider Ham? I loved his art as a kid, but I cant find anything from him online.

Eric said...

I've seen some artwork of Mellor's accompanying some puzzles in an airline magazine. At one time I also saw that he did some theater pamphlets. Neither jobs looked like what I saw in the Marvel publications. At one time I contacted his agent but never heard back. As a side note, his brother also wrote some of the back stories in Spider Ham.