Friday, February 19, 2010

Panini: Disney's Tale Spin

I received an interesting stocking stuffer this past Christmas, a couple of packs of Tale Spin Panini album stickers from 1991.If you grew up during the 80's and 90's, you may have collected these along with similar sticker sets featuring popular animated TV shows and films.
I had thought that Panini was long gone, but according to their current website, they seem to be prospering in Europe and many other countries rather than North America like they used to.
http://www.paninionline.com/collectibles/institutional/bt/uk/faq.asp
Being a cartoon nut, I collected many of these sets because it was a unique way to own screen-shots of your favorite cartoon characters. I may still have some collections packed away somewhere and maybe I'll share some examples in the future.
If memory serves me, I collected album sets featuring the Looney Tunes, Tiny Toon Adventures, Darkwing Duck, Roger Rabbit, The Transformers, Garfield, Ghostbusters, Slimer!, Alf, The California Raisins, etc..etc...
Also I remember during the 80's, Panini was trying something creative with their sticker albums by providing 3D glasses with illustrations that would animate when you closed one eye and switched between blinks. That little trick taught me simple animation techniques for sure.
And yes, I actually owned the I Love Snoopy album at one point. LOL

5 comments:

Pierre D said...

Hey !

Yeah Panini is huge in Europe, they licence Marvel and Disney comics in France, Italy and other countries too I think. The market for this has increased itself enormously these last ten years.

As for the stickers-album, I think it's not what it was in the 80's-90's anymore, but it still exists; and it might be still bigger than I realize, what do I know, I'm not quite the target audience anymore...

But the stickers are still big for one thing though : every four years they issue a Soccer World Cup Album, which many many many male adults of my friends allow themselves to buy and fill.
I'm not a Soccer fan myself, but it's very funny to see, and it's pretty much part of the World Cup experience here, for many people.
(It's probably in some way comparable to Base-Ball cards in the US. We don't have those things...)

Were you one of the few who ever completed an album ? I'm sadly not, but I remember having own a ton of them ; many Disney adaptations, The Dungeons and Dragons TV Show, Manga Tom Sawyer (fave tv show when I was a kid), X-Or, Mysterious Cities of Gold...

Aaah... Good times...

Thanks for the blog, it's awesome !

Pierre Durand

Nic Kramer said...

They sell Panini Cars Sticker Album books and packs at Dollar Tree.

teenbata20 said...

They sell Panini Cars Sticker Album books and packs at Dollar Tree.

John Pannozzi said...

I remember having that TaleSpin sticker album, as well as a Tiny Toons one and others. Too bad these don't seem to turn up on eBay often (from what I notice, at least).

Chris Sobieniak said...

To Pierre,

You guys get all the cool stuff! I'm still jealous at the Japanese toonage countries like Italy got back in the 80's that should've been big over here.

And yes, Panini needs to find something to do over here besides the sticker albums!